Friday, August 07, 2026

It's a wrap

 


I wasn't there for the drop-off this morning, but I'll hear about it tonight.


Looking at this picture, it's hard to imagine what seventh grade will be like. 

He's always been interested in my past. Scandalized and outraged about what some people had to deal with. Making connections with changes that haven't yet happened. Stuff that seems to be going backward. 
These past few weeks, I've been asking a lot of questions about his social world. It's very hard to keep from drawing (unfavorable) comparisons.

I voiced my concerns about screen time and behavior. He points out the errors in my thinking and judgements. 

Yesterday we had a hard discussion about the use of sarcasm that had both of us in tears at one point or another. 

We worked it out over a box of tissues, some laundry folding and grocery store Chinese food. 

On the last (for a while) trip to Mathnasium, I discovered that he has a fine singing voice. An unaffected tenor that will probably slip into a baritone before long. The Everly Brothers "Dream" came on from my phone. 1600 songs he's been hearing since I first rocked him to sleep. 

I turned the phone his way and let the lyrics come up on the screen and he held down his end of the two part harmony effortlessly. We invented Honda Karaoke. 

                                      ~●~



This little bit of chaos is starting to have a voice. I wasn't able to take it with me to Jake's. Milo would have made my life a living hell. He steals stuff and hides it. 


~●~






These last photos to remind me how about using black dye has a richness all its own. 

I had forgotten! It's time to get back to business. All of it.

Not everything that happens in darkness is evil or dangerous.



Darkness, darkness, be my pillowTake my head and let me sleepIn the coolness of your shadowIn the silence of your dream
Darkness, darkness, hide my yearningFor the things that cannot beKeep my mind from constant turningTowards the things I cannot see nowThe things I cannot see nowThe things I cannot see.

"Darkness, darkness" 1969  the Youngbloods








1 comment:

Joanne S said...

I might wind some of your thread with plain black. One on one. I feel, as the years go by. a slide into the darker colors. anything that threads the needles is a positive in my mind.