Saturday, August 11, 2012

lashes

2:45am and I'm wide awake in anticipation of several hours worth of thunderstorms passing through the area.
 If I am tired enough, maybe I will sleep through them but I doubt it. The air is so thick outside that the freight train announcing itself in the distance sounds more like an ocean liner bellowing for a tug out past the lights of the harbor.

I've found a way to stitch many marks, bold enough and quickly enough to use on large pieces - this passage is roughly six inches across - was done with six strands of floss, doubled  in a split chain and then wrapped with the same 12 ply..it really sits up and signals.

I stitched this while listening to/watching an hours worth of  "America in Primetime" on PBS. A dialogue about the nature of storytelling. It has me thinking of ways to bring the sprawl of this piece under control, get it talking.




6 comments:

arlee said...

I've often wondered how to cover large areas too, and its held me back on some pieces--thank you for sharing this. the line is powerful and very illustrative

Deb Lacativa said...

and that's just white on white..now I have to drum up the chutzpah to bring on the color.

Nancy said...

This must feel great! How'd the storm go? I think you've got the chutzpah :)

Deb Lacativa said...

the storm skipped over us...there was a sleep deficit the next day.

Anonymous said...

the hand is a beautiful gesture in stitch! thanks for telling us how you did it. love all the b&w photos in the next!

Deb Lacativa said...

Dee ! I swear until you just mentioned it I never noticed it as a hand...I always call these "Speed lines"...one got to wandering..