Monday, October 01, 2012

the resting stitch


After a long day at IKEA and an afternoon of Atlanta traffic in the pouring rain, all I wanted to do was curl up in bed with my sewing basket and a cat.

I had intended to start something new. Something small and stitcherly but instead, I  dug this little false start out of the bottom of the basket, set aside a few weeks back.

After a little picking out and relocating some elements it began to dawn on me how hard I have been fighting against the very nature of cloth, the warp and the weft, always crossing never meeting. I have been working hard at turning cloth into paint and will have to give that some more thought. How that idea might be a signpost, marker or warning.

On the other hand, the real paint arrived today, along with a barrel of new dyes, that will all have to wait until late April or May before the fun can begin again, but I knew all that when I placed the order.

2 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Whatever this is going to be, I love the shapes and colors so far! Don't blame you for wanting to hide away after a day like that! I don't do traffic or crowds very well... even less now that we are in the boonies! Just found a way to cancel a trip to Phoenix, and I'm overjoyed! Happy stitching...

Jeannie said...

I too love the composition and colors. You drove in Atlanta in all that rain!!! Brave woman! Relax and enjoy the process. xo