Friday, June 21, 2024

And be still

 

It's just what it looks like. Something soothing to keep me in the present. Things that must be accomplished are in the here and now, so this is just a little side step. 
I'm going to have the two of them mounted together in some fashion. 
There was supposed to be a local gallery show tomorrow, but their emails (with copious demands and instructions) only came yesterday. Oh, and btw, artists are expected to pay 25$ for refreshments for the guests and must stay at the venue all day.  
Fuck that shit, folks.

K. this was the favorite that I wrote about. A simple, cotton tea towel with more woven embellishment than usual. Does anyone know what this weave is called?  

I know it's going to take the dye beautifully with a diffusion that does not occur in other kinds of cloth. And I'll be keeping every shred of it.

There is still a ton of vintage cloth ready to go. Some Irish double damask, a cotton that's almost lawn it's so fine and delicate. Some old-school embroidered tablecloths. 

Still waiting on ProChem to come through with two colors that I'd used up, I started winding off skeins last night, but I had to stop because I was tired and a little clumsy. 

This part of the thread dyeing process needs a light, delicate touch or annoying and wasteful snags will frustrate the crap out of you. Think of putting decals on butterfly wings and not harming the butterflies.



I finally got one of our lawn chairs up to the grove for an elderly neighbor who walks (is walked by, actually) his little dog, Rocky. 

Since this picture, I've also replaced the old clay bird bath. The new one holds two full gallons, so I'll be lugging jugs of water up the hill for my daily workout.


I can't seem to nap these days. Can't imagine why. 

3 comments:

Joanne S said...

What a good idea- a chair out front for someone walking who needs a little rest....
I have rockers on the porch for visitors. Son is fuming because of the weather.
California boy didn't miss the RAIN we all expect in the summer. Well....it's not SNOW.

He bought me really pretty posting stamps.....I love them.

jbettyb said...

We called it huck towelling - it came in nice pastel colours, too. As a youngster, I learned to do huck embroidery on it, weaving the threads through those woven loops to create designs a bit like bargello. I learned it both in school (Ontario, Canada) and from my aunt who taught home ec.

Nancy said...

So gracious to add a chair out front. I so often wish there were some pausing places where I walk.
Like the way the colors are beginning to flow on this one.