Saturday, June 01, 2024

And him

 



untitled watercolor on paper, 24"x36"  

We talked briefly about the importance of cleaning your brush before switching colors.  Changing the water often. Using a paper towel to take back too much moisture.  The transparent aspect of watercolors. 

I have no formal training in this medium so I don't have much to offer. He asked Alexa to play some jazz and I left him to it. He worked two hours in the morning and another hour in the afternoon. 

Late in the day, he rushed a passage and got a little discouraged but I showed him a few recovery tricks and he was mighty pleased with the outcome. 

It's rare for kids to not be intimidated by a blank page. He talked about how he liked the way he felt while he was painting. "Smooth and quiet."

3 comments:

Joanne S said...

Yes, I also like the way I feel when I paint... I'll think about the words smooth and quiet next time.
I envy you this boy of yours.......

ARTISUN said...

Hey Deb,

Please let Charlie know he did an amazing job with the watercolors and his design. Looks like his grandma's artistic influence has rubbed off on him. From one artist to another that smooth and quiet place is his right side of his brain taking over the verbal left side. It's a wonderful place to be.

Nancy said...

Aw, this boy. sigh. I like that smooth and quiet place too. What a blessing that he is willing to go there and that you are there to help him along the way, if needed. His own painted worm project. 🙂