Wednesday, March 11, 2026

Hemming

 






Does anyone else love the mindless, yet productive activity of hemming?  A true hem stitch is almost invisible from the outside. It was the one really useful skill I remember from Home Ec. We used a fine silk ribbon to finish the edge of the cloth before the actual turning and stitching. 




This is where I stop and wonder if I've told this story.
We were supposed to make a simple skirt with a zipper. Waistband, darts, plackets - all of it. I had a scant yard and a quarter of a fine, forest green wool. Leftovers from my Mom's wedding suit. She could have used a little help fitting the jacket. 

She kept the scraps like a true daughter of the Depression and was happy to give them to me.


There was just enough cloth to lay out and cut an straight skirt like this one, only well above the knee as it was the sixties and not the forties.

It came out perfect. Cute little matching green zipper under a placket, button and buttonhole, and a kick pleat and that fancy hemming.  

It looked like a lampshade because I made it in a size 4. It would have fit my Mom, but I was a size 14. 

The teacher didn't know whether to shit or go blind. She couldn't fault my workmanship, so she gave me a C for being a smartass.

She didn't think I would actually wear a skirt, did she? 

Anyway~

I pulled this piece of linen out of the wicker closet without a lot of intention. Then I looked at the date. March 28th, the next NoKings action will be on me before I know it. I need a new, vibrant banner and this cloth as background will be perfect.

Before anything else, I need to give it a quarter-inch hem on all four sides. This linen frays like it's fun.

The symbols might just come down to white, reflective paint if I can't find cloth with enough contrast. I'm thinking it through as I type this. (A white, rayon table cloth. Cut two and applique them on both sides?)

After a little futzing around and this cloth demanded PINS. The nerve that it would not just lay down and behave to my finger pressing. It's 36x60 and 192 inches of holy rolling nun's work lost its appeal, but a nice tight running stitch with King Tut cotton thread went like butter. 

Strange keepsakes we'll be leaving our grandchildren. 

3 comments:

deemallon said...

This is such a great post!

Deb Lacativa said...

You've inspired me.

Mo Crow said...

wow! hemming by hand thanks for the fab post! love that you made a mini mini