Friday, June 12, 2026

reconnecting with me

 

I'm not dead or in prison and some might suspect.

Like many, I'm feeling the burden of my years and the burn of the times. 

But the NY Knicks have lifted New Yorker's hearts out of the gutter, and they are taking his name off the Kennedy Center as I watch. The rain interfering with those precedings is really going to make that 8647 in the grass show up more intensely. Salt or herbicide, it doesn't matter.    I'm Spartacus.


I've been spending a chunk of each week with Charlie. 
I never knew what a gerund was until I started cutting  flash cards out of a workbook they want him to look at. Dungeon Crawler Carl has overtaken the whole family, but I don't think I'm going to dive in. It's only been two weeks and I am over saturated with Futurama and the Simpsons.

I sneak latin prefix and suffixes into the conversation while we are driving to the math tutoring that will go on most of the summer. No backsliding.


I should have gotten into our pool today, the sunshine window is shorter than ever as those trees get taller. Someone may get a chain saw for Christmas this year. 


And I may have referred to a basement troll in the past. 
For the better part of three years, a guest, who was in desperate straights, became an unwelcome squatter. For a while the situation got on my last nerve. With the help of the walking Monks and some Stoic reading I did my best to ignore the situation. 

The troll has decamped, taking most, but not all of her crap with her to some other sucker's basement. If she tries to return without appointment, the monks and the Stoics will have to write a new chapter about an over-the-top response to aggression. Basta!

My house is deliciously quiet. You can hear cats fart. And if I want to, I can put NPR up loud while I have coffee. Park my car casually. Run the vacuum whenever I want. Use the downstairs bathroom if I need to. The list is longer than I realized.
Again, Basta!


We move through life in delight.

Remember that horse? The other day we pulled up to offer an apple and she was on the far side of her pasture in the shade. I've never seen this horse do much more than plod about grazing. Charlie called to her and held up the fat Fuji. She pricked up her ears and ran to us. A trot became a brisk canter. For half a second I though she might take the five foot fence but she pulled up short at the wire and made short work of the gift. It was amazing to see. 


He takes my elbow when we go from the car through the parking lot. Real manners handed down from his grampa through his father. There's a summer haircut happening as I type this.

Jim would have been 71. His sister called and we burned up the afternoon catching up. 


And tomorrow? A dye fest!


3 comments:

Nancy said...

Deb~ What a beautiful slice of life this is. I had to look up some of his learning and interests...but know both The Simpsons and Futurama very well! haha J. loved those. I'm grateful you've got your home and peace back. One needs that to survive these days. Good thing Charlie's bright smile fills the heart and his caring ways, a family tradition, brought tears to my eyes. I'm sure you know how lucky you are to live this with your family. (((hugs))) to you.
Oh and that strawberry is precious!

Anonymous said...

We decided to leave the berry for the birds because right across the driveway there is a huge bank of black raspberries ripening.

Angie said...

Oh yum, black raspberries (or red) that are growing in the wild, on their own, are a bit of heaven if you are lucky enough to have access. :). And Charlie is the cutest young man, and what a sweet, thoughtful young man to boot! Good training all around. :D