Wednesday, February 11, 2026

the heart of it







I really hate going to the doctor. Before Jim got sick, it was a necessary chore. After he died, I just didn't want to know. 
Didn't want to go. Especially the routine maintenance stuff. 

Criminal, given that my twenty plus years of employment with ATT Left me with decent medical benefits. 

In a spasm of adulting a while back, I found a new primary care outfit. These places seem to come and go with the seasons here. New corporate ownerships slap on a different color paint and some new, used waiting room furniture. Appointments are three months out. Will they even be there in three months? One can only hope for competance.



So I submitted to an annual physical and all that went with it. Something made the PA frown at my EKG so she ordered other tests. A cardiologist. The tests. The weeks wait and resutlts: 
Just a normal heart that works a little harder than most with a zag where others zig.








We swell, break, and still.
Are cursed, given, or stolen.
Sworn on, pine and leap.
Race and burn, full.
Holding you. Keeping time.

















 

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Deb~ Oh I so get the feeling of being over going to the doctors. And yet, I have a new appointment with a new doctor at the end of the month - why is my foot in so much pain 24/7? ugh. On your end, I'm so glad you will be zagging along doing all of the great Deb things you do! Be well. (((hugs)))

Joanne S said...

My doctor and his nurse are very proficient and I have a nice scar now from the cut just south of my neck bones. seems to be healing nicely. My neighbor and I went to the same doctor- a woman who argued with us.....she retired and we both miss her very very much,

Deb Lacativa said...

Thank you. Yes, see to your feet!