Monday, January 12, 2026

Get Ice Out For Good


Honestly, when I got up Sunday morning, I really didn't think I had it in me to go. It was in the mid-thirties with gusting winds. 

But there was nothing I could put my mind or hands to that didn't leave me cold. Scattered, angry, and unfocused.


As I got dressed and laced up my boots, I thought to myself, "Am I going out to get killed?" 

Do you think that's what Renee Good thought when she dressed for a Minnesota winter that morning? 




I was pretty impressed with the turnout. At peak, my guesstimation was 400, give or take. Lawrenceville is the county seat of Gwinnett. All the government you can cram into an old village that's trying to force a Renaissance. The jury is out on that. 

By noon, it was only mid-forties, with still gusty winds. The crowds were engaged, lively, orderly, and well-organized. Hats off to the 50501 group that got the word out.

Chants of "Hey Ho ICE has to go" easily evolved into FUCK TRUMP with fists in the air. The highlight of my day!

Huge tractor-trailers crawled through town on Sunday mornings delivering to the many small businesses. In the first hour, I counted five. Four of those happily supported the protest with joyful blasts of their air horns and waving!   

Four out of five truckers against ICE was my takeaway for the day. 

I also noticed the glaring absence of any kind of police presence. There were several lone individuals whom I noticed doing a lot of vigilant observing. Nothing much to see here, officer. Just Americans doing what they can. 

This from an old woman perched on a low wall set back a bit from the sidewalk, raising a painted stick in the air and shouting "FUCK TRUMP" until she couldn't. 







Doesn't she remind you of our dear friend Michelle Slater?









This location is about ten minutes from my house. Old Town L'ville was the place you had to go for jury duty or other police/official business. They are working to give space back to the people in the heart of town.

A ring of chairs surrounds a lively fountain in the full sun, with a playground and restrooms just beyond it. A couple of restaurants and coffee joints are a walk away.

I plan on going back there when it warms up. Stitching in public in the sun when there is something to celebrate.

 

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Deb~ Yay you!! I'm glad you were able to get out. It feels good, doesn't it?! We had about 200 out here on Sat. And yes, she does remind me of Michelle. I've been thinking of her. xo