![]() |
| Yes, the Christmas tree is finally getting undressed. |
The governor has declared a state of emergency for the whole state of Georgia based on winter weather that looks like it will only be the northern parts of the state. Maybe some snow. More likely rain with freezing temperatures which inevitably leads to trees bringing down power lines.
I sympathize with the folks who may be affected. But I'm also keeping my eye on the fact that car haulers full of new SUVs with ICE markings and colors were delivered to locations in Atlanta a few days ago.
Now, under some internal memo, ICE is saying that they don't need a judicial warrent to enter homes and kidnap people. I think they are forgetting where they are. There will be people excercising their second and fourth amendment rights in this open carry state. ICE be damned.
~★~
"Night Gardener" has a rather prophetic tone about it, but I don't want to see it that way.
It's been sold and I want to revisit it in person before the show comes down next month. Take more photos and make sure I put my mark on it somewhere. If not, I'm going to add a label on the back. It will be nice to sit in the sun in one of those rocking chairs in the sanctuary and stitch a while.
There was a village where everyone still kept small kitchen gardens. A few chickens. There were hedges instead of fences. Footpaths everywhere.
A stream meandered through town ponding up in some of the lower places of the village green.
There were trees standing sentinal since the Revolutionary war providing shade and a highway for wildlife, their roots cracking the paved sidewalks all over town and no one held it against them.
It's midnight deep in July. Half the day's humidity has settled as blessed dew, the other half rising up to join a still-distant thunderstorm. Close enough for thunder. Too far away for rain. Still, all the laundry came in from the ropes at sunset. The something in the air was a lullaby. Peace.
~★~
Did you ever make a piece and not like it all that much for unknown reasons? Even when you know the Art is Good?
"The All Seeing Eye" has also sold. Despite the title and whatever the view gleaned from the imagery, it has no story. I worked on it rather obsessively during my first weeks of being a telecommuter.
We were set up to work from home. Lines and software all working according to company instructions. But someone in the office forgot to send up the traffic, the customers calling in their reports or complaints. For eight hours a night for a week, I was paid to do whatever I wanted. That included an experiment with some bits of strange synthetic fabrics that I cannot recall the provenance of. Everything about this piece was experimental. The title was a late addition too, so digging up the provenance is going to be time consuming.



8 comments:
Congrats on the sales! Up here, they’re saying 11 to 24 inches of snow but that is not a catastrophe for a state with plows and salt trucks etc. I worry about southern states like yours where people don’t have experience driving on icy roads or necessarily have adequate heat.
Here in Maine the power goes out ALL the TiME- we are waiting on heating oil......been a few days- nothing yet. Have a generator but doesn't run the furnace unless there is oil to burn...we WILL have lights, stove, oven and fridge working if CMP explodes. Also TV.
Deb~ "hedges instead of fences"...a lovely thought. Congrats on the sale and I really like the darkness of Night Gardener. So moody.
I got chills from the Night Gardener text ... was that posted with the piece? Your writing is absolutely amazing (as ever).
I wrote that on the fly while examining close ups. The whole time I worked on that piece, I was setting the scene for a different book. A starting place. Working on it - herding all the wild hares into one pen - is a treat I have been withholding from myself unless I wrap up the one I've been working on. Maybe I shouldn't take that path.
Prep is everything because these people can barely drive in the rain. If I had to, I could. Working for Ma Bell in New England you learn there's no such thing as a snow day.
Wait until the oil company starts insisting on cash payments. I remember years like that in NY
I'm going to miss it.
Post a Comment