Wednesday, January 07, 2026

Tools timeless

 

Grace. It took a moment, but I spotted your knife.

I don't recall when or where I acquired mine. Rather than punish my brushes, I used my (butter?) knife to scoop acrylic medium out of the tubs it came in.
More a thing of beauty than utility. I don't own any silver polish.


The brush and the wooden burnisher have been in my art arsenal since 1967. I clearly remember my first visit to the art supply store with my list in hand. I think it was Pearl Paint. Jude might be able to confirm that it was a few blocks of SVA. 

I also remember the sinking feeling I got when I found out how expensive everything was. 

The wooden crochet hook was purchased at a convention I was working at in Grand Rapids. It doesn't care for cotton string, so it functions as a hairpin from time to time.


The little ruler was my Dad's. There was also a matching slide rule, which was a complete mystery that mocked my ignorance until it was lost. The ruler has been my perfect straight edge since the late 60s.

3 comments:

Joanne S said...

wondering what I have in various boxes in various drawers that are 'tools"... tomorrow I'll give it a "look See". I rarely use anything in the way it was made to be used........

Nancy said...

Deb~ Gosh how I live this post. Not only for your well loved old tools, but also for the fact that I too was inspired by Grace's post to post something of my own. It was her slotted spoon that caught my eye. The knIfe in my post belonged to J's dad. It went missing for months and months and then spontaneously showed up again. I bought a little spindle-y crochet hook went I went to the weaving workshop and bought my little loom. I thought it was beautiful, but it was never comfortable to use and then I soon after forgot how I was supposed to crochet the top edges of the Medicine Bags, so I made up my own way. haha
Your post also reminds me of a tool I have that belonged to my dad. I've never been sure what it is or why he even had it. He was not a tool kind of guy. But, I do kinda wish I had his huge dressmaker scissors. He manufactured women's clothing in downtown L.A. (((hugs to you)))

Deb Lacativa said...

Love that you know the histories.